show about me

My photo
I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and have been practicing for over 16 years. I am specialized in couples therapy and work with individuals as well. When I work with clients I teach them necessary skills to improve not only their relationships but themselves as well. My hope is for my clients to make changes that will make them healthier individuals which will then make their relationships healthier and happier. If you're interested in obtaining information, setting up an appointment, or learning more about my practice please visit my website at www.therapywithanita.com you can also go to my page on psychology today at http://Therapists.PsychologyToday.com/rms/79368

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Improving your communication

This week I will share with you a  little list of tips to help improve your communication:

  • Use "I" Statements.
  • Speak to one another, try not to yell and be aware of your tone.
  • It is important to be respectful of one another and give each other the benefit of the doubt. 
  • Start the conversation with a positive about your partner.
  • State your appreciation about your partner.
  • Validate your partner's feelings.
  • Stay away from making hurtful comments to one another. 
  • Make sure you are focused on one another, meaning stop doing what you are doing, look at one another and give each other your full attention.
  • Be aware of your body movements and facial expressions.  You should not point when speaking, roll your eyes, nor interrupt one another. 
  • If you are having a discussion or an argument and you seem to be at an impasse, take a break from it.  *A break allows you both to calm down, collect your thoughts and think more rationally.  Make sure you both come back together to continue the discussion and hopefully this time with some solutions that are fitting for both of you. 
  • Don't discuss any "Hot Topics" right before bed.  This is a time to relax and have a restful sleep, try to save it for the next day when you are both feeling fresh.

My Favorite:
* Listen to one another with an open heart and an open mind *
A nice way to end a discussion is to seal it with a kiss and a long tight hug!!!


Therefore, I Say......

"Satisfaction can be gained just through knowing you were acknowledged, heard and understood, despite the outcome of things"